Thursday, May 19, 2011

Folk

"I don't think much of that chap!"

Happy Farmer's Market Seller

Smile Please! Johann takes a photo of a pair of young lovers.
"There's nowt so queer as folk" was a Yorkshire saying from my early life. It is still true today. We are all different, and see the world in vastly different ways. It is amazing how well we all get on with each other really. Most of the time. Take the recent Queen's visit to Ireland for example. The contrasts between the two countries couldn't be greater, But somehow I think history is being written. Now if only Libya, Iran, and Syria could get with it and sort their leaders. Not to mention a few other countries...
Here in Canada we have a bunch of folk newly appointed to the cabinet, who are going to have a go at running the country for Prime Minister Stephen Harper. 38 of them. All earning just under a quarter of a million dollars a year. What an interesting bunch! A few strange ones amongst them. It wouldn't do to call them queer these days....
You know, I am so old, I used to earn $25,000 a year at the same time as our prime minister's salary was $25,000 a year! Boy! was I rich then! Goodness knows what his salary is now.....

5 comments:

H said...

I have been listening to snippets of the Queen's visit, and there was a very interesting 'Thought for the Day' on Radio 4 this morning, all about asking forgiveness and seeking reconciliation. All good stuff.

Unknown said...

I looked it up - Mr. Harper has a take home pay of $315,462 annually. In our medical clinic, some of our physicians earn from $251,000 to $169,000 annually. But, and this is a very big but - the clinic is owned by eight doctors and they have to pay all their own overhead, including their staff.I guess their net income would be much, much lower than the prime minister. Did the prime minister study at least ten years so that he can do his job well?

Friko said...

But when you earned 25 thou, how much did pay for a loaf of bread?

We all go on about the good old days, it comes with the territory of the later years. Good or bad, I don't know, but I do know that moaning gets to be more and more of a pleasure, the older I get.

Michael and Hanne said...

Thank you Barbara for looking up salaries. I know if I was working today I would be taking home after taxes and salaries and expenses about 8oK to spend, out of a gross of 250K charged. I don't know what you think, but our PM would have a huge expense account as well as his take home, which after taxes could be about 150K.
A loaf of bread was 30c but now it is at least $1.50. No whingeing allowed!

Unknown said...

"I don't think much of that chap!" - beautiful picture, the other too.
Cheers, kisses. Irena