Sunday, December 11, 2011

Taking a Photo


Photo One Unedited
Photo Two Edited
Some folk want photos to be a true representation of reality: no fiddling please with Photoshop or any other program please. I took a photo of the entrance to the church yesterday in raw format, then saved it to jpg format, so here it is in photo one. The camera is pretty good, but the photographer doesn't always use it properly, so we have lens distortion. The second photo is my interpretation more of the reality I saw. I corrected some distortion, lowered the color a bit, removed some distraction in the top right corner, added a little paint to the water stain on the wall, added a bit of vignetting to the corners, and sharpened the image, and cropped it a bit. See what you think. I think it is a better representation of reality than the unedited one...

4 comments:

FilipBlog said...

For me the unedited one is the best but it is probably less realistic.

Greetings,
Filip

Desiree said...

I'll have to learn how to photoshop! I probably would not even have noticed the 'flaws' and 'distractions' in the unedited version, but your pointing them out and revealing the polished version really shows what can be done to enhance and perfect an image from the raw version. Very impressive. Now, I'm scared to let you see any of my own pictures. You no doubt find many failings with your trained eye :)

Michael and Hanne said...

Good comments thank you!

jennyfreckles said...

Sometimes when you start photoshopping it's hard to know when to stop! But I agree it's often good to clone out the distractions.