Monday, May 14, 2012

Artemis

Flowering Sagebrush



Artemis, Goddess of the Hunt.( Courtesy of Wikipedia)
Artemis was the Greek Goddess of the Hunt amongst other things, and somehow got her name attached to one of our common plants in the Okanagan, the Common Sagebrush (Artemisia tridentata). The Pronghorn grew up with it and loves to eat it, but its bitter taste discourages other animals. Talking about bitter, it is closely related to Wormwood. hence we get Vermifuge, an anti parasitic, and maybe Vermouth. It is also related to Tarragon, an important culinary herb. And if you have completely lost me, Hanne lived in Tarragona Spain, where she had her first child, Karin. So we come full circle from Ancient Greece and modern Spain back to the Okanagan, and a few photos of Sagebrush near Oliver, which is now in flower!
Oh by the way, its yellow flower is the State Flower of Nevada!

3 comments:

L. D. said...

The bush has interesting branches but I really like the tree in the second photo. I hesitate to name it as a pine but maybe I would be correct. Great photos.

Michael and Hanne said...

You certainly are Larry! This is Ponderosa Pine Country.

Alan Burnett said...

I knew I was familiar with the name. Not from the plant, not from the Greek Goddess - its a P&O Cruise Ship (one of the few I've not been on yet)